Monday, May 13, 2019 panels of community leaders and health experts will gather to examine and discuss what success looks like for Baltimore neighborhoods and people across the life course at our annual Social Determinants of Health Symposium.
This year the topic is "Thriving! What Communities and People Need to Succeed", click the button below to learn more and register.
Wednesday, December 19th we met with community members to discuss possible themes and ideas for this year’s symposium. Click here to see what was discussed out.
The Social Determinants of Health Symposium is an annual, day-long event that brings together national experts, local community leaders, city residents, and faculty and students from Baltimore colleges and universities to examine a pressing topic related to the root causes of health.
The Social Determinants of Health Symposium was established in 2012 by the Johns Hopkins Office of the Provost to examine the root causes of health inequalities in Baltimore and to identify evidence-based strategies that have been effective locally and nationally.
Our objectives in hosting this annual event:
- To create a learning opportunity that will bring together faculty, administrators, students, engaged community residents, service professionals, and leaders from across the city to increase awareness and to collectively identify the central social and neighborhood factors that contribute to the inequalities of health seen in Baltimore.
- To bring together experts (researchers and practitioners) from all relevant sectors to share evidence-based strategies that promote health equity at the community level.
- To highlight innovative partnerships for research and service delivery that address the social determinants of health.
- To identify priorities for Baltimore over the next few years to address the social determinants of health.
- To strengthen existing relationships and foster new ones among and between Johns Hopkins and community partners that together reduce the health inequalities that characterize Baltimore and many American cities.
To be added to our mailing list, which includes announcements for upcoming programs as well as other UHI and community news, sign up for the mailing list.