Fifth Annual Symposium on the Social Determinants of Health
Race, Racism, And Baltimore’s Future: A Focus On Structural And Institutional Racism
On April 25, 2016, over 700 people came together to attend the 5th annual Social Determinants of Health Symposium on Race, Racism, and Baltimore’s Future: A Focus on Structural and Institutional Racism. Attendees were a diverse group from the Baltimore area and beyond. Twenty-one invited speakers ranging from research and legal experts to leaders from non-profit community organizations spent the day in an intense discussion of race and racism in Baltimore. They participated in four panels, sharing poignant anecdotes about their personal experiences and presenting their research, all offering suggestions for ways forward. Speakers participated in four panels sharing expertise on:
- Overcoming structural racism;
- How racism affects health;
- How racism, racial segregation, and the education system are connected, and
- Racism and policing.
The report from the 2016 Symposium includes a summary of each panel and the small group discussions, plus an appendix on residential segregation. Each panel summary includes historical context and current status, along with lessons learned, challenges, components to address, and examples of successful Baltimore organizations. The report is broken into sections below for your convenience.
- Full Report
- Panel 1: Overcoming Structural Racism
- Panel 2: Racism and Health
- Panel 3: Racism, Racial Segregation, and Education
- Panel 4: Racism and Policing
- Developing a Strategy to Move Forward: Lessons from the Small Group Discussions
- Appendix: Residential Segregation in Baltimore City
Includes a summary of each panel and the small group discussions. Each panel summary includes lessons learned, challenges, components to address, and some of the Baltimore organizations addressing the topics.
Tools and Resources
Links to online (video/multimedia) and offline (books, reports, and articles) resources to continue learning about the Symposium topics.
- Welcome to the 5th Annual Symposium on Social Determinants of Health
- Opening Remarks by the Provost of The Johns Hopkins University Dr. Robert Lieberman
- Panel 1: Overcoming Structural Racism – Keynote Speaker and Discussion
- Panel 2: Racism and Health – Keynote Speaker
- The Limits of Diversity – Toward a New Paradigm
- Panel 3: Racism, Racial Segregation, and Education – Keynote Speaker
- Panel 4: Racism and Policing – Keynote Speaker
- Concluding Keynote – Congressman Elijah Cummings
About Social Determinants Of Health Conference
In collaboration with the Office of the Provost, the Social Determinants of Health Symposium is an annual, day-long event that brings together national experts, local community leaders, city residents, and faculty and students from Baltimore colleges and universities to examine a pressing topic related to the root causes of health disparities.